(Health-NewsWire.Net, November 03, 2015 ) Berthoud, CO -- Since about 1982, when the first report of deep-frying a turkey came out of a small Louisiana town, this method of cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas has become a Southern tradition. Believed by many to be the most delicious way to prepare and eat turkey, deep-frying is relatively simple and usually takes less than an hour.
According to Mike Stein, co-founder of The Outdoors Way, using proper equipment such as high quality cooking gloves, a good propane burner and the right sized stainless-steel pot are the primary tools needed to successfully deep-fry the perfect turkey.
However, the basic recipe is pretty much the same use peanut oil for the frying and either dry rub, brine or inject the turkey with favorite seasonings before cooking.
Unfortunately this method of cooking can also be dangerous with Texas leading the country for the past seven years country in most grease-and cooking-related insurance claims on Thanksgiving Day.
Following a few simply rules will ensure safety:
• Fry outdoors on level dirt or concrete well away from any structures or dry grass/leaves
• Ensure the propane tank is downwind and a safe distance from the cooking flame
• Determine the amount of oil needed by putting the turkey in the pot and filling the pot with water until the bird is covered and there is still about 5 inches of space to the top of the pot. Then remove the bird and mark the water line. This is how much oil needed to fry the turkey. Make sure to dry the pot thoroughly before adding the oil
• Will it might be tempting, don't fry a turkey that weighs more than 12-15 pounds as larger turkeys will burn on the outside without cooking fully on the inside
• Make sure the turkey is completely thawed before frying
• Lower the turkey into the hot oil very, very slowly and don't forget to wear protective gloves
• Never leave the pot unattended or allow children or pets in the area, even when the frying is done, as the oil remains blisteringly hot for hours afterwards
About The Outdoors Way
The Outdoors Way is a family owned business operating out of Colorado and Florida and was established for the purpose of providing the best products for making life outdoors fun! (www.theoutdoorsway.com)
The Outdoors Way