(Health-NewsWire.Net, December 12, 2015 ) Dogs may even lick themselves to get rid of stress or at times to speed up the healing process of an open wound. Licking tends to be a normal behavior but if you notice your Hooch is going out of the way in “treating” himself, better understand the situation and consult a Vet.
Here are 10 reasons why your dog is licking always.
1. By the way every dog licks but you can see a lot by the mood. For instance, if the pet is waving its tail and comes running to lick you, then that's excellent. But if he is sitting in a corner all by himself and licking himself, then that might be something to worry about.
2. Licking too much means he might be dealing with any nervous or bad health condition. Pay attention to his daily habits. Sometimes licking is a way of saying how lonely or unhappy he is feeling.
3. Don't take it in a wrong way as young dogs tend to run to older doggies and lick their face. It is just their own way of displaying submission but also an open invitation to say its time to grab some fun. Just the same way you would approach your grandpa or older man with kindness.
4. Just like we humans mark a territory, dogs do have their own way of displaying their own zone. Dog's spit is another way of marking their territory. Licking is another technique to connect with other each. For instance, mother and dog who lick their puppies or viceversa.
5. A wet sloppy dog kiss is a behavior of love and affection towards you. However they also display the same “lick behavior” towards another dog with some sort of smile. Its just their own way of tending care.
6. Just like we chew our nails or bite our lips when stressed, dogs tend to lick themselves when they are feeling nervous. You should definitely pay attention to these symptoms and consult your Vet immediately.
7. Dogs are naturally highly sensitive so when it comes to smells they tend to check everything that has a strong smell. So do not be surprised if dog starts licking your skin – you can consider it as a compliment.
8. One of the main reasons dogs lick each other is to convey a message to each other. But sometimes dogs licking us may also convey a message that is probably beyond our understanding at times. Make sure to consult a Vet ASAP.
9. Even your pet wants to look good in front of others and licking their hair is part of their daily routine just like we brush our teeth everyday.
10. Dog licking contains enzymes that has the power to kill the bacteria in their skin. So if your dog bruises himself, don't panic as he knows how to fix the issue. Stating the obvious, we are talking about minor bruises or cuts and not major wounds.
A healthy diet and a proper exercise will keep your dog healthy and fit in the years to come. Just make sure that instead of antibiotics you choose alternative natural remedies for dogs (after proper consultation from your Vet) to keep your dog away from side effects.